Holiday trash schedule for Hillsborough County
There is no garbage, recycling or yard waste collection on the following holidays, unless otherwise noted:
- New Year’s Day (January 1) - Only normally scheduled recycling and yard waste collection will occur on this day
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day (Third Monday in January)
- Memorial Day (Last Monday in May)
- Juneteenth (June 19)
- Independence Day (July 4)
- Labor Day (First Monday in September)
- Thanksgiving Day (Fourth Thursday in November) - Regular schedule resumes on the Friday after Thanksgiving
- Christmas Day (December 25) - Regular schedule on Dec. 24 and 26
Regular collection is scheduled for all other holidays.
Collection schedule tool
If you want to double check when your pickup days are, use our "Find My Trash & Recycling Schedule" tool to look up your trash days, as well as the next two collection dates.
Things to consider
- The holiday collection schedule is suspended only for that specific holiday date or day as noted above, not the day before or the day after
- There are no holiday make-up days for the collection of residential garbage, recycling or yard waste
- If your collection date falls on a holiday, services will resume on the next regularly scheduled collection day
- Find a Waste Disposal Facility are also closed on the above holidays, including the following:
- Southeast County Landfill
- Northwest and South County Transfer Facilities
- Resource Recovery Facility
- Community Collection Centers
- All yard waste sites
‘Tis the season to reduce, reuse, and recycle. Below you will find information on holiday collection schedules, tips on how to dispose of unique holiday items, recycling options and more.
Holiday collection days and facility closings
- All Hillsborough County solid waste facilities, including community collection centers, yard and wood waste processing sites, transfer stations, resource recovery, and the Southeast County landfill, will be closed on the following holidays:
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Eve Day, Dec. 24, all facilities close at 2:30 p.m.
- Christmas Day, Dec. 25
- New Year's Day, Jan. 1
- Residential trash, recycling, and yard waste collection schedules will be impacted as follows:
- Regular collection of trash, yard waste, and recycling on Christmas Eve Day, Dec. 24
- No collection of trash, yard waste, or recycling on Christmas Day, Dec. 25
- No collection of trash on New Year's Day. Jan. 1. Normally scheduled recycling and yard waste will be collected.
- There are no holiday make-up days for collection. If your collection date falls on a holiday, services will resume on the Find My Trash & Recycling Schedule.
- Trash and recycling must be placed inside the carts to be collected
Live Christmas trees
- Curbside pickup of live Christmas trees is available by following these steps:
- Remove all decorations, lights, and tinsel
- Cut the tree into sections no larger than 4-feet long and 6-inches in diameter
- Place curbside on your regular Discarding Yard & Wood Waste
- Drop off live trees at one of the following yard waste processing facilities, after removing all decorations, lights, and tinsel:
- Excess trash that will not fit in the gray garbage cart may be disposed of at any of the County Community Collection Centers when accompanied by a copy of the resident’s Hillsborough County Tax Bill. Fees may apply for food waste.
Food and beverage containers
- Recyclable food and beverage containers should be emptied and rinsed before placing them loose in the blue recycling cart
- Plastic bottles and containers No. 1-7
- Aluminum, tin, and steel cans
- Cartons, such as those for soy milk, juice boxes, chicken broth, etc.
- Glass bottles and jars
- Large volumes of recyclables that will not fit in the blue curbside cart may be recycled at any of the County Community Collection Centers for no additional fee
Plastic bags & wrap
- Plastic bags, bubble wrap, and film cannot be recycled in your curbside blue cart
- Clean and dry plastic bags and film can be recycled at participating supermarkets in special bins located near the store entrance
- Loose and soiled bags, plastic film, shrink wrap, and bubble wrap should be placed in the trash cart
- Flattened cardboard boxes can be recycled in the curbside blue recycling cart, however all cardboard must fit inside the cart to be collected
- Oversized and large volumes of flattened cardboard boxes may be recycled at any of the County Community Collection Centers for no additional fee
- Foam packing materials can be disposed of in the gray garbage cart or dropped off for recycling at the Dart Container Corp. facility, 4610 Airport Road in Plant City
- Clean foam food trays and egg cartons can be recycled at most local supermarkets in special bins located near the store entrance
Holiday ornaments and decorations
- Holiday decorations and ornaments, including pre-lit and artificial trees, should be discarded as trash if the items can’t be donated
Wrapping paper and cards
- Greeting cards and wrapping paper, as long as it is free of ribbons, foil, and other non-paper items, can be recycled by placing loose in the curbside blue recycling cart
- Gift bags, tissue paper, ribbons and bows are NOT recyclable in the cart
- Used household cooking oil may be recycled at the County’s Discarding Household Hazardous Waste or at any Cooking Oil Recycling Effort (CORE) station for no additional fee
- Strings of holiday lights may be safely disposed of in the gray garbage cart or recycled as electronics at any of the County Community Collection Centers for no additional fee
- Pre-lit trees should be placed in the regular trash
- Items containing a digital display or circuit board, including televisions, computers, laptops, mobile devices, stereo equipment, gaming consoles, VCR/DVD players and printers, may be safely recycled at any of the County Community Collection Centers for no additional fee.
- Small bathroom and kitchen appliances such as toasters, crock pots, electric skillets, blenders, hair dryers, and curling irons may be discarded in your regular trash
If you have questions on the holiday schedule or need further information, call (813) 272-5680.