To do construction, development or utility work in the County’s Right-of-Way (ROW), you need a permit


  • Base application fee - $50 per permit
  • For a complete list of fees see the

Things to consider

  • Make sure that the address for your proposed project lies within unincorporated Hillsborough County. We do not issue permits for projects within the municipalities of Tampa, Plant City or Temple Terrace.
  • Use the correct permit application for the type of project being proposed. There are different types of ROW permits:
    • Development and Commercial ROW permit application - for development and commercial site related activities
    • Driveway Access permit application - for commercial and residential site access or driveway connections
    • ROW Use Permit Other Uses - for all other work or activity in the County ROW
  • Several entities that operate within Hillsborough County are exempt from permitting fees under certain conditions
    • Failure to provide the name of the entity you are working for can lead to incorrectly applied charges and undue processing delays
  • Homeowners as well as contractors can apply for ROW permits
    • We strongly recommend that you have any work that requires engineering plans done by a licensed professional
  • All fees will be due upon application approval

How to

Log in to the HillsGovHub portal to complete your permit application.

What's next

  • If you are going to need to interrupt traffic, such as close a lane or road, you must apply for a Temporary Traffic Control permit
  • Staff will review the application, plans and any accompanying documentation
  • We will notify you if any corrections are needed
  • If no corrections, or corrections are completed satisfactorily, we will notify you when the permit is ready

General permit resources

Get help

Phone: (813) 272-5600

Last Modified: 1/16/2024, 1:19:54 PM

Was this page helpful?