Building activities that are normal and necessary to conduct bona fide agricultural operations in properly zoned areas are eligible for this exemption

If your building activities are normal and necessary to conduct bona fide agricultural operations in properly zoned areas, you can apply for an agricultural exemption from a building permit. Per Florida Statute 604.50, any nonresidential farm building, farm fence, or farm sign that is located on lands used for bona fide agricultural purposes is exempt from the Florida Building Code and any county or municipal code or fee, except for code provisions implementing local, state, or federal floodplain management regulations.

Please note: This page contains information that only applies to Agricultural Exemptions for Building Permits. Get information on Agricultural Exemptions for Natural Resources Permits.


Commercial and Residential Agricultural Building Permit Exemptions must meet the following criteria:

  • The property must be designated as Agricultural land by the Hillsborough County Property Appraiser. Only lands that are used primarily for bona fide agricultural purposes will meet this classification.
    • Such agricultural uses include horticulture, floriculture, viticulture, forestry, dairy, livestock, poultry, bee, aquaculture, piscaculture and all forms of farm products and farm production. Bona fide agricultural activities might include but are not limited to the following activities: transplanting, tilling; plowing; planting; harvesting; contouring to prevent erosion; fencing; construction of internal roads, bridges or culverts to facilitate these operations; construction or maintenance of irrigation and drainage ditches; control structures or dikes; and construction, operation or maintenance of agricultural use ponds.


General fees:

  • No fee is required for an agricultural exemption review, however, if an exemption is not justified a building permit application and applicable fee will be required.

Things to consider

Any structures built within a FEMA Flood Zone must comply with existing FEMA flood regulations.

How to

  1. Log in to HillsGovHub. An account is required.
  2. Select ‘New’ then select ‘Building and Site Application’.
  3. On the ‘Select a Record Type’ screen, search for “Agricultural Exemption” and select the appropriate application type (Residential or Commercial).
  4. Complete and submit the application.

What's next

  1. Our staff will review your application
  2. We will send a formal written response if we determine we will support your request for an exemption from permitting

Get help

Phone: (813) 272-5600

Last Modified: 1/15/2024, 7:57:58 PM

Was this page helpful?