Our Traffic Management division maintains and operates multiple systems and programs
- Intelligent Transportation System - this results in efficient vehicle travel, improved safety, and enhanced mobility for all transportation users within Hillsborough County
- Advanced Traffic Management System (ATMS) projects - incorporates all the County's operated and maintained traffic signals into the Traffic Signals Central Management System
- Traffic signal management - Traffic signal timings and the review of traffic signal plans
- Traffic Management Center (TMC) - uses Closed-Circuit Television (CCTV) cameras to monitor traffic to divert it around crash sites, improve travel times, monitor construction sites, and observe traffic patterns for safety improvements
- Power Outage Emergency Beacons - activate immediately upon complete power loss of the traffic signals until power is restored
Smart Traffic Network
The Smart Traffic Network provides safe intersections and travel for motorists and pedestrians. The system can detect when a vehicle is at the stop line of an intersection and when there are bikes and pedestrians, and it improves the safety of vulnerable road users.
How do we use CCTV cameras?
CCTV cameras are an integral part of the system because they provide for greater awareness of traffic conditions. This includes the identification and verification of incidents for traffic signal timings modifications and the visualization of work zones.
- Traffic congestion management: Used to divert traffic around crash sites and improve travel times
- Monitor construction sites: Actively monitor traffic patterns and detour routes
- Safety improvements: Observe traffic pattern issues and recommend traffic studies conducted by the Traffic Management team engineering consultant