An LAL-SFD permit is required in many instances, such as new home construction, mobile home placement, and land alterations

If you are building a single-family home or duplex or you are placing a mobile home on a piece of property, you will need a natural resources permit for land alteration, tree removal and landscaping for single-family/duplex projects (LAL-SFD). This application is required for a building permit for single-family home, duplex and mobile home projects, and you must submit it at the same time as you submit your building permit application.


  • Application fee: $60
  • Grand Oak inspection (if needed:) $55

Things to consider

  • A plot plan must accompany the application, indicating the proposed land alteration/tree removal/landscaping activities and the proposed structural improvements and other information
  • An LAL-SFD permit is required for:
    • New single-family and duplex home construction
    • Placement of a new mobile homes on a vacant lot
    • Mobile home replacement if further than 40 feet from the existing mobile home
    • A new septic drainfield is necessary for a replacement mobile home
    • Other land alteration is proposed
    • Lots with an existing home that will be demolished and a new conventional or modular home will be constructed
    • Lots that are currently vacant
  • An LAL-SFD permit is not required if:
    • A detached building is proposed for a lot with an existing home
    • A lot currently supports a mobile home that will be replaced by another mobile home within 40 feet from the existing mobile home and no other land alteration is proposed
    • A pool or addition is proposed for a home that is occupied
  • An LAL-SFD permit is valid for two years from the date issued
  • You must barricade any existing trees that will remain on the site
  • We will only approve tree removal in accordance with our Land Development Code (LDC)

How to apply online (with building permit application)

If you are apply for a building permit through the HillsGovHub portal, you will be applying for an LAL at the same time. There is no need for a second application.

How to apply (without building permit application)

If you are not applying for a building permit, download and complete the LAL-SFD application and email to

What's next

  • You must turn this in with your building permit application
    • We will review the application, plans and any accompanying documentation at the same time, but separately from the building permit application
  • We will notify you if any corrections are needed
  • If everything is in order, we will issue the LAL-SFD permit
    • Once approved, we may issue the building permit


Get help

Phone: (813) 272-5600

Last Modified: 2/6/2024, 5:28:11 PM

Was this page helpful?