Prohibits certain types of discrimination in selling, renting or financing a home

When you are looking for a place to live, no one has the right to discriminate against you. The Fair Housing Act prohibits certain types of discrimination in selling, renting or financing a home.

Hillsborough County works to protect you from that discrimination. Read the Hillsborough County Human Relations Ordinance.

Experienced discrimination? Visit our page to see the process for filing a complaint or call  (813) 272-6554.

Types of discrimination

The Fair Housing Act makes it illegal to discriminate in any aspect of housing because of an individuals race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, disability, or familial status (children under the age of 18 living with parents or legal custodians, pregnant women, and people securing custody of children under the age of 18).

Actions that are considered under the Act include:

  • Refusing to rent or sell to a classification noted above
  • Lying about the availability of housing
  • Evicting someone from housing
  • Discriminating in the terms and conditions of housing, such as amount of rent, security deposits, sale prices, financing, the use of facilities, or maintenance
  • Blockbusting
  • Refusing to make a mortgage loan
  • Refusing to provide information regarding loan
  • Imposing different terms or conditions on a loan
  • Discriminating in appraising a property

What if I have a disability?

Landlords must allow you to make appropriate modifications to your home, and their policies should include reasonable accommodations for people with disabilities.

Can they refuse to rent to me because I have kids?

Unless the community qualifies as senior housing, a landlord cannot discriminate against you if you have children.

What happens if I file a complaint?

When you file a complaint with us, our Equal Opportunity Administrator (EOA) office will investigate. If they find you were discriminated against, they will issue a cease and desist order. You can also file a claim with Housing and Urban Development (HUD).

Where can I find more information?

Call our EOA office at (813) 272-6554. For landlord or tenant matters see our page.

Last Modified: 11/20/2023, 3:42:13 PM

Was this page helpful?