Provides local students a unique opportunity to work within various Hillsborough County departments
NOTE: Applications are now being accepted for the 2024 RISE Internship program! Apply here.
The RISE Program (Redefining Internships for Student Empowerment) provides local high school juniors and graduating seniors a unique opportunity to work within various Hillsborough County departments to get real, on-the-job training to:
- Learn about Hillsborough County government and how it functions
- Get a better understanding of the role they are performing
- Have the ability to “shadow” employees with similar roles
- Gain invaluable, real-world skills that are transferrable to future careers
RISE is an eight-week, paid opportunity during summer break.
Participating departments may include:
- Aging Services
- Children’s Services
- Code Enforcement
- Conservation & Lands Management
- Emergency Management
- Fire Rescue
- Head Start
- Human Resources
- Library Services
- Parks and Recreation
- Pet Resources
- Public Utilities
- Public Works
- Sunshine Line
How the program works
Each RISE participant is assigned a department and a supervisor. The supervisor will guide the participant through daily tasks and teach them how to be successful in the job assignment and will also have opportunities to evaluate the RISE participant’s progress.
This personalized learning experience creates an enriching environment that aims to help students realize their potential with County government and provide tangible on-the-job experience for their resume.
Participants will take part in a series of courses, including:
- Interviewing Skills
- Personal Finance
- Resume Development
RISE participants will present a final overview about a specific project they assisted or enhancement recommendation with at their assigned department.
- Applicants must be 16 or older and reside in Hillsborough County and be a current Hillsborough County Public School student
- A 2.0 GPA is required for acceptance into the program
- Copies of applicant’s report card and two (2) references must be submitted with the application
- Must be available for the entire eight-week program
- Watch this video with past RISE participants to hear their experiences.
- View the internship flyer in English and Spanish
- Application period opens Jan. 2024
- Application period closes March 2024
- Applicants are notified of application status in April/May 2024
- 2024 program dates are TBD but will run early June to late July