The purpose of this Commission is to promote public awareness of the existence of human trafficking within Hillsborough County
The council's purpose is to establish through relationship building within the community, educational programming opportunities for the public and key industries to recognize the indicators of human trafficking and learn to report suspected human trafficking; and Advocate strategies, financially and otherwise, to aid rescued victims of human trafficking; and Support local and statewide efforts to identify opportunities for positive impact and improved outcomes for victims and service providers through data collection, sharing, and analysis.
Members appointed by the Hillsborough Board of County Commissioners.
The membership of this Commission shall be comprised of 20 members representing the following:
- A member of the Board of County Commissioners
- Two representatives of the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office (HCSO), with one being an officer with the Child Protective Unit, both designated by the HCSO
- A representative of the Tampa Police Department (TPD), as designated by the TPD
- A representative of the Temple Terrace Police Department, as designated by the Department
- A representative of the Plant City Police Department, as designated by the Department
- A representative of the Hillsborough County School District (HCSD), as designated by the HCSD
- A representative of the Hillsborough County Aviation Authority (HCAA), as designated by the (HCAA)
- A representative of the Port Tampa Bay, as designated by Port Tampa Bay
- A representative of the Office of the State Attorney for the Thirteenth Judicial Circuit (SA), as designated by the SA
There shall be seven individuals, each representing at least one of the following segments of our community:
- A representative of the Hillsborough County Public Defender for the Thirteenth Judicial Circuit (PD), as designated by the PD
- A representative of the Administrative Office of the Courts for the Thirteenth Judicial Circuit, as designated by the Chief Judge or his designee
- A representative of the Hillsborough County Commission on the Status of Women, as designated by the Commission on the Status of Women
- Community/Victim Services, as designated by Redefining Refuge
- Tourism Industry, as designated by Visit Tampa Bay
- Hotel Industry, as designated by the Hillsborough County Hotel & Motel Association
- Hospital/Medical Profession, as designated by the Crisis Center of Tampa Bay
- Religious Institutions
- Human Trafficking Community Advocate
- Lived Experience Expert, as designated by Created, Healing Root and Victims 2 Survivors
The Commission may appoint non-voting participants and/or liaisons who may participate in meetings but may not vote.
Length of term
Terms are initially staggered as follows, and all subsequent terms are for two years:
- Categories A – L, two year terms
- Categories M – S, initially one year term
Resolution 19-141 has been amended by Resolution 20-041 adopted, 05/20/2020.
Quarterly; Last Thursday of the month at 1 PM, unless otherwise noted in the current schedule below